Friday, September 9, 2011

"The Power of Positivity"

"10 Positive Things I Gained From My Cesareans"

1)  I learned to fully trust my Husband! 
The first time I had to walk to the shower he took me. 
I felt so vulnerable and feeble.  He made me feel safe.  It was as if he was saying with no words,
"No matter what you have to go through, we will go through it together." He could have called for the nurse.  Trust me it was not so pretty and he was there every step of the way

2) I realized God had a purpose for my life & the lives I would help welcome into this world!
You know, we often do not acknowledge all of the times in our lives
when we could be gone forever as God ordained. 
After my surgery I had difficulties and remained in recovery for over an hour after
my husband arrived back in the room to show Ethan to our family & friends.
It only seemed like moments to me but I wasn't quite with it. 
Even still back in my room my uterus wasn't shrinking properly
and I had to have additional IV meds for the bleeding.
With each cesarean it seems I learned of a new narcotic I was allergic to.  Yikes! 
I am certain God did not keep me through all of this for no reason!

As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.
Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate. (Psalms 127:4-5)

3) I learned how much pain I could actually tolerate!

4) I learned how much perseverance I really had!
I had my first child & major abdominal surgery just a couple weeks prior to
my final exams for my first semester of nursing school.  I only got to be with him for 6 weeks
before returning to school.  Off I would go with my school bag (on wheels), purse, pump bag, & cooler for the milk.  Soon after that with a change in child care I would add to that: baby, diaper bag, cooler of milk, & bouncy seat (because he LOVED it) 
for my sister-in-law who lived in the Cape then to school in Ft. Myers.

5) I learned I relied too heavily on my OB's advice!
When we were expecting our second baby, Kiley, in 2001
I was so excited about having her naturally!  However, when I enthusiastically told my OB, whom I felt close to after seeing him for almost an entire year, for annuals (which is hummm...very personal) and now only one and a half year after the first birth, he shot me down! 
His reply was, "Oh no, you don't want to do that! 
You could rupture and you, your baby, or you both could die! I advise against it!"
Well, that was all I needed to hear.  I worked with Hospice at the time and seen lots
of death & dying and I knew I didn't want that!

6) I realized I needed to have a closer relationship with God and stronger faith!
With my third child, Gavin, born in 2007 I again wanted to try to have a vaginal birth.  Preferably in the water.  At that time they were "Not Aloud"!  However, my OB's office told me I was more than welcome to have my baby at home by myself!  I did not have enough faith and chose to have a third cesarean.  Fear is very powerful!

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and leannot unto thine own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5)

7) I accepted that regardless of the mode of entry I had been blessed!
Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. (Pslams 127:3)

8) It made me desire to learn & share with others!
I applied mine heart to know, and to search, and to seek out wisdom, and the reason of things, and to know the wickedness of folly, even of foolishness and madness: (Ecclesiastes 7:25)

9) It gave me compassion toward other woman who have experienced a cesarean!

10) They have made me the woman I am today!

No comments:

Post a Comment